Monday, November 19, 2007

Counting the Days

Oh Bother! I'm looking at the calendar and the model journal Dr. Ray gave us, and I'm seriously considering hitting the panic button. The journal, with a schedule using the Dick and Carey and Carey model for developing a "learning object," is due by December 2. Wow! That's only 12 days away!

Okay, unpanic. I've done the readings, I'm exploring learning objects and feel like I may be getting a handle on them. Now it's time to start with DCC:
  1. Assess needs to identify the instructional goal - I really need to settle on this tonight. Do I want to do something for my students, or for teachers? I'll use the TEKS, either way, but the language might be a bit different. No, not for a learning object, would it? By definition, the L.O. is supposed to be reusable in different contexts. I need to include the needs, goals and generally describe the learners, performance context and tools available. Hmm.
  2. Instructional goal analysis - this will be very time-consuming I suspect, based on my tendency to go overboard on minute details. This is something I will have to watch closely. I should end up with a diagram (Gliffy?) of the main steps as well as the KSA (Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes) required to perform each of the main steps. Oh! And don't forget to designate the entry behaviors.
It's eleven o'clock at night, and this is the time I choose to get wired? No. I still have one more day of school to get through. I'll mull this over as I drift off to sleep and try to have a coherent starting point for my goal in the morning.

No comments: